Skipping is one of my favourite exercises to do, and it comes in handy when I want to keep my endurance and agility up for wrestling. We’ve all jumped rope at some stage of our lives, you maybe a bit out of practice, but I rate it as one of the best forms of cardio, and once you master the basics I cover in the video above and move into the more advanced techniques, it may well become one of your favs as well!
Benefits of skipping
- Its a full body workout – core for stability, legs for jumping and arms for turning the rope
- Studies show 10 mins of skipping is the equivalent of 45 mins running!
- Its super convenient, a rope can fit in a small bag and can be done anywhere
- It increases bone density
- Cardiovascular improvements also help people with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other heart related issues
- Done in High Intensity Intervals(HIIT) skipping can produce a high calorie burning workout
- Improves agility, balance, co-ordination and footwork for many different sports
- Improves muscle tone
In a nutshell – Skipping can be tricky to pick up if you haven’t done it for a while, the trick is to start simple and go from there – e.g. trying to get to 20 skips without stopping, then 30, then 40, 50 and so on up to 100…. try doing the same with the other simple techniques in the video.
Next week I will cover more advanced techniques to get the mind and body working!!
Happy skipping team!